How Can We Help?
Hobart College provides a range of support services to students. We understand and value the diversity of our learners and our Student Services team can provide you with advice on a range of issues.
For all appointments, please contact the College Office on 6220 3133.
We offer the following services:
- Timetable questions and course changes
- TCE issues
- Exam preparation.
Book an appointment to meet confidentially with our school psychologists about:
- Emotional support
- Crisis support
- Mental health support and psychoeducation
- Help with study skills
- Managing stress and coping strategies
- Relaxation techniques
- TASC reasonable adjustments
- Educational assessment and support around study
- Someone to talk to.
School Health Nurse
Our health nurse can answer any questions you might have about:
- Drugs, alcohol and smoking
- Sexual health and contraception
- Sleep and mental health
- Healthy eating and body image
- General health and wellbeing.
Our social worker can help you with:
- Counselling – emotional, crisis support, alcohol and drugs
- Advice and Referral
- Housing and Centrelink.
Aboriginal Education Worker
Our Aboriginal Education Worker’s role is to provide a space and community for the identifying Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students, and assist non-First Nations peoples with education and awareness. They will:
- Support school communities in using culturally appropriate dance, art, ceremony, food and crafts to promote mental health education
- Provide cultural support
- Provide men’s business and women’s business yarning space
- Highlight on country opportunities for connection to culture and mental health education
- Provide a culturally safe space for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students to learn, grow and enjoy culture.
Interested parents/carers and community elders are encouraged to meet and identify goals and cross cultural projects they would like to organise and participate in. The College has links to the Aboriginal support program offered by the University of Tasmania – Riawunna – and additional student support and pathway planning is provided through our Student Support team.
Our Careers Adviser is available in the Library at designated times to talk with students about pathways options. Make an appointment to speak about:
- Career and tertiary options
- Pathway planning
- Access support for preparing resumes, writing job applications and planning for interviews
- Australian School-based Apprenticeships (ASbA) and Traineeships
- Work Placements.